Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Pesto pesto pesto


Last Friday I worked a double shift and my reward was a gigantic bag packed with basil from our IT guy, Howard's, garden.

So Sunday night I was washing sprigs like clothing-- Swishing them around in a sink full of water, rinsing and then swishing again.

My recipe, roughly, was done in batches in the blender:
4 packed cups basil
1/4 sweet onion
4 large cloves garlic
3 Tbs lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 Tbs sugar
salt and pepper
1/2 cup pine nuts

I found it was easier to mix the oil, lemon, garlic, nuts and cheese, then add in the basil and the rest.

Pesto is great tossed pasta with broccoli, cauliflower, finely sliced pepperoni and chunks of grilled chicken breast. It also makes a tasty sandwich or wrap spread.

No comments: