Monday, October 23, 2006

Pumpkin Dolma

An unauthentic version

I stuffed this little pie pumpkin, loosely following a recipe in a cookbook geared toward teachers doing a diversity unit. It's one of my favorite cookbooks... bought when Joe and I were teaching at Kuei Shan. I remember making hummus for one of my gifted classes and they kept saying it needed sugar. Those crazy taiwanese... always gotta turn beans into dessert.

Anyhow. Dolma is something stuffed. It could be a vegetable or fruit (or grape leaves in the Greek version). I don't know how often the Turks or Armenians stuff pumpkins, but most of the dolma recipes I found on the web were savory (except this one.) The recipe in my book was sweet... so I decided to make it both.

Pumpkin Dolma
1 cup cooked rice
1 1/2 small granny smiths, peeled and cubed
6 turkey sausage links, cut into tiny pieces
handful of raisins and crasins
1 heaping spoon brown sugar
several shakes salt
3 Tbs toasted pinenuts
1 tsp oil
several shakes pumpkin pie spice

Book says to bake at 350 for 2 hours. Sheesh. It'll be bedtime before it's ready.

No comments: