Sunday, October 22, 2006

Looking ahead and some cookies


First the looking ahead: I'm planning my November food column and was wondering if any of you have any interesting or unusual Thanksgiving food traditions in your families. If you do, drop me a note.
Now on to cookies: The key to cookie baking is taking them out at the right time. I don't always do that. But when I do, these are the best chocolate chip cookies ever.

Mini-chip cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350. Cream the latter three ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and stir the first three ingredients in a medium bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and blend until smooth. Add 1 cup of mini chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is evenly distributed.

Drop teaspoonfuls of batter onto an insulated cookie sheet. I guess that's another key... if you don't have an insulated sheet, stacking two regular sheets is supposed to work. But I haven't tried it.

Then watch those cookies vigilantly. For example, while I was photographing my first batch, my second batch was turning a nice cinnamony brown color... which is actually not nice because that means they'll be crunchy. I hate crunchy.

Take cookies out when they look set, but not completely done. I know it's not the most sanitary thing in the world, but a slightly raw cookie is a soft cookie.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I hate crunchy, too.

Your cookies look PERFECT! Seriously. I have yet to make a perfect batch of chocolate chip cookies.

So maybe I'll try your recipe. I usually use Crisco or butter, not oil...I wonder if that makes a difference! It's a lot of oil, but I guess that makes them good! And my insulated cooking sheet doesn't fit in my oven (drat!), so maybe I'll try the stacking thing.

I wish I had an unusual Thanksgiving food tradition to tell you about...hmmm....