Friday, September 15, 2006

Thai Garden

Panang the way I like it: tofu and vegetables (but I avoided the celery)
Decisions, decisions
Deep in thought, lost in the wonders of the menu at Thai Garden in Schaumburg, my mom and dad didn't even know I snuck this picture of them.
Heh heh.

Thai Garden is a very happy place for me. I love their food. And this restaurant is second only to Thai Terrace in Urbana IL. We started off with fresh spring rolls stuffed with lettuce, sprouts, basil, cilantro and mint and some bean noodles. The wrapper is rice paper. The sauce is mostly sweet, with some vinegar and garlic. It was like eating herba salad with my hands.

Mom ordered "Popeye Chicken" (above) -- Morsels of sweet-as-candy meat on a bed of fresh spinach... yes, spinach. As far as I know, no signs of E. coli yet. Despite the suspect name, it is

Dad ordered something new: "ho jok mag salmon." We have no idea how to pronounce it. But the waitress had fun correcting him. The dish is a salmon casserole set in banana leaves with a nice dollop of coconut cream on top. And check out that deep friend basil garnish.

The meal was a welcome end to a long Thursday that began at 3 a.m. Joe drove me to Nashville to catch my 6:30 flight to O'hare. The flight was delayed and got to to Chicago just in time to make it to the Inland Press design workshop in Schaumburg at 9:30.

No comments: