Saturday, March 28, 2009

Panko crusted catfish nuggets and slaw


I know I've really neglected Moody Foodie lately :-( But I am still eating and cooking regularly... just not a lot of new and interesting recipes. Earlier this week I found catfish nuggets on sale at Kroger. I don't deep fry-- for one it's not healthy and for two, I've got an aversion to splattering-hot oil. Catfish is great for coating and baking because its oils hold on to the crumbs and keep it tender. I used a mix of panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and cornmeal seasoned with salt, garlic, parsley and McCormick salmon seasoning. I baked the nuggets on a jelly roll pan for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees.

I also made some vinegar slaw with cabbage (also on sale), carrot, onion, pickle relish, white vinegar, salt, sugar and canola oil. My main inspiration for vinegar slaw since moving to Kentucky has been d. Starnes barbecue restaurant in Paducah.

And... I made up a batch of cornbread muffins- 1 cup cornmeal, 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 can cream-style corn, 1 egg, 3 tsp baking powder, salt to taste, 1/4 cup oil, 1/2 cup plain yogurt (should have been sour cream, but I had to use up some yogurt!) and argh I can't remember how much milk... so better not follow this "mess-ipe" They were much better the second day. First day, half the muffin stuck to the paper lining.

No comments: