Friday, January 23, 2009

Sweet potato gnocchi


Camera still not working, so you have to put up with some blurry videos and screen grabs :-(

This morning when I got up to feed Stephen at 4:45 I had a vision of sweet potato gnocchi-- gnocchi are fat doughy pasta nuggets usually made with regular spuds. We already used all of our potatoes in the behl puri and in aloo gobi.

Here's how I made them:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup packed cooked sweet potato (7 minutes in the microwave made it nice and mushy and sweet)
1/2 cup water
garlic powder, lemon pepper, salt and oregano to taste.

Knead the dough until a ball forms, then divide into six balls. roll each ball into a rope with 3/4 inch diameter. cut into one-inch pieces, press lightly with tines of a fork.

drop into boiling water and cook until they float. Serve with fresh chopped basil, sliced olives, salt and olive oil... MMMMM!

2 comments:

TN said...

Could I substitute another flour for the wheat? Like garbanzo bean or oat?

Tina

Emily said...

I imagine you could... I used to use a mix of oat flour and refined rice flour to approximate wheat flour when we lived in Taiwan. The oat flour is more crumbly and the rice flour more gummy than wheat, so they kind of balance out. I used garbanzo bean flour once to try to make a flat bread. It was REALLY heavy. Let me know if it works in gnocchi!