Friday, January 23, 2009

Camera working again

Here is the quinoa photo I promised earlier in the week... I don't have an XD card reader so it was stuck on my camera after the batteries died. Quinoa (say keen-wa) is a an excellent alternative to brown rice. Then again just about anything is an excellent alternative to brown rice in my book.
The South American grain (at least that's what it says on my package) has a slightly flattened round shape with a thin white ring around it. After steaming for about 20 minutes the white ring falls off and the round grains plump up and become tender. The white part has a crispy texture and the whole thing is nutty flavored. I served it plain with sauteed vegetables, but it would have been good with nuts and seeds too.
I also made peanut noodles for lunch several days back. I used a little rice vinegar, lemon juice and natural peanut butter, then sprinkled on some sesame seeds for crunch. Green onions would have been good, but I didn't have any on hand.

No comments: