Friday, January 09, 2009

Australian licorice


One more thing I won't be eating after tomorrow... Australian licorice is softer and less waxy, less artificial tasting (though I'm sure it's got plenty of artificial in it) and more fruity than your regular Twizzlers. This batch came from Valli's in Schaumburg.

Still in the process of weeding. I just realized my big tub of Korean miso, which I was going to rely on for "umami" (the meaty fifth flavor after sweet, salty, sour and bitter), has msg and wheat in it. :-(

I don't know if the wheat was whole or not when it got fermented into this largely soy-based paste, but I do know that monosodium glutamate is a no go on Daniel Fast. If you wanted to get really technical, I'm pretty sure Daniel wasn't eating soybeans during his fast. But I'm not going to get technical. I'm gonna get me some organic miso... somewheres.

No comments: