Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Italian cauliflower

My college roommate's dad, Dennis Poland, used to make an egg-battered fried cauliflower dish that was delicious. I think that dish involved deep or at least shallow frying. The day before traveling to Cleveland I sauteed a similar dish in the skillet. It was so good (but fairly different than the inspiration) that I made it three times in the last week.

Italian-ish Cauliflower
3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
2 eggs
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
2 Tbs fine bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon mediterranian spiced sea salt
Parmesan cheese
Vegetable oil
Optional: substitute one cup broccoli for one cup cauli, or add some chopped bell pepper as I did in this photo.

Saute until tender: cauliflower and onions in some oil and sprinkle with sea salt/spice mix.

Beat eggs and crumbs in a mixing bowl. Pour contents of skillet into bowl with egg mixture and toss to coat. Let stand a couple minutes and toss again. (I even prodded some of the florets with a fork to let the egg seep in.)

Add more oil to the skillet, then pour egg and cauliflower mixture into skillet. Cook until egg coating is set and browned.
Transfer to a serving dish and toss with a generous sprinkling of grated parmesan.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I can't wait to try this! I often fry my cauliflower with an egg or two, but I've never added breadcrumbs and onions...mmmmm....I'll try this soon and let you know what I think!