Monday, October 08, 2007

Phyllo phun


This all started out with me hoping to replicate the curry puffs that Joe likes so much at the Thai Smile restaurant in Frankfort. It ended a dozen flaky triangular snacks later with me not really replicating anything, but using up lots of leftover things from the refrigerator and freezer. Like spinach. And goat cheese.



My version of the curry puff:
1/6 package of phyllo sheets (cut stack long-ways into three strips)
1 medium sweet potato, cooked til tender
1/4 cup very finely chopped cooked chicken breast (it was marinated and seasoned)
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp canola oil
a little water

Mash everything together in a bowl. Coat three sheets of phyllo with oil, then stack them. Put a spoonful of potato mixture at one corner, then fold into a triangular shape. (I'm sorry, but I'm too tired to try to explain how this is done. But I think you understand.)

Brush with a bit more oil, repeat until sweet potato mixture is gone, then place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 til golden brown.

Spinach filling:
1 cup frozen spinach (squeeze out excess water)
3 Tbs toasted sliced almonds
2 Tbs goat cheese (I'm guessing feta would have been better)
3 spring onions, sliced and sauteed briefly.
salt and pepper to taste. (Lemon juice or vinegar would have been good)

No comments: