Friday, October 05, 2007

Frankfort food

Ginza III
Tuesday night, Joe and I drove to Frankfort, Ky. Joe had an assignment the next morning and I was taking comp time. It's nice to see a different part of the state-- though I have to say it seems a few things are the same throughout the commonwealth. Lots of movie rental places, lots of liquor stores, popular Mexican restaurants are all owned by one family and share the same menu... Seemed a lot like Hoptown. BUT there was a Japanese restaurant nestled in a strip mall.
It was a welcome sight for us at 8:30 to see that Ginza III was open until 10:00 and that several Asian faces filled the tepanyaki tables. We opted for a quieter curtained booth and ordered soothing soups. I also had the eel sushi. It wasn't the best I've ever had, nor was it the prettiest. But it was edible. And hey, it's a Japanese restaurant (run by Chinese) in Kentucky. And that means something.

Thai Smile

This restaurant was a true gem. Lunch entrees were $6.95, and the portions were bigger than I could eat in one sitting. The dinner menu seemed to have 3 times as many items offered, but the lunch offerings amply filled 2 panels of a paper menu with tiny print. I had a hard time choosing between several dishes before choosing Pad Kee Mow-- Spicy fat rice noodles stir-fried with chicken, basil, tomatoes, broccoli, carrot and bamboo cut in matchsticks.
Joe was quite taken with the Curry Puff appetizers-- fried wonton skins filled with spiced sweet potato and chicken. They were sweet enough that he ordered two more for dessert. Will have to try to replicate this one in my own kitchen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks DELICIOUS! Charlie agrees.

(guess who this is!!)

My printer is not working right now, I have to come back for the Thai omelets recipe!

See you Sunday!