Saturday, May 12, 2007

German Potato Salad


Granted, the French have invented a lot of good things-- snails baked in a pool of butter, potatoes deep fried in fat, and stale bread dunked in egg batter and pan fried -- these I like. But the day they invented mayonnaise was not a bright spot in french culinary history. With that in mind, I present a German Potato Salad adapted from All Recipes...

3 lbs red potatoes, cubed
2 cups white vinegar
18 Tbs sugar (sorry, don't know how to convert)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 medium onions, chopped
a bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
12 slices bacon, crumbled

I didn't want to heat up the house too much, so I nuked my potatoes in batches.
In a skillet, as used some (not all) the bacon grease to saute my onions and a handful of parsely. Once they were browned, I added the vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Once it was bubbling, I added as many potatoes as would fit and let them simmer a little. I removed the potatoes with a slotted spoon and added more until the whole batch had taken a nice hot vinegar bath. Bacon and parsley added last.

No comments: