Thursday, February 01, 2007

Turkey soup for the soul


One of the "interesting" things about living in the South is the amazing agitation that occurs with even the most gentle dusting of snow. If there's white stuff on the ground schools close. Cars spin out everywhere. And I have to get to work by 6:30 a.m. so the paper can go to press an hour early. Even imagined imminent snow sends all of Hoptown to the grocery store to stock up on bread and milk. (And as my co-worker says, when they realize it hasn't snowed yet, they all head out to the Chinese buffets)

SO all that griping really was a prelude to a new recipe: Turkey Matzo Mood-boosting Soup. Joe and I really needed to go to the grocery store to buy bread and milk... but seeing the parking lot brimming, we decided to head straight home and forage for our dinner. Here's what I came up with:

Turkey Matzo Mood-booster
1 turkey carcass, frozen since Thanksgiving
1 carton chicken broth
1 cup baby carrots - halved
1 red bell pepper - large pieces
1 sweet potato - large cubes
1/2 a large sweet onion - chopped coarse
1 package Matzo ball mix (thanks, Mom)
1 tsp Montreal Chicken Seasoning
1 tsp Lemon Pepper

I filled a large pot with enough water to submerge the turkey bones. Let it boil until the broth smelled nice. I removed the bones and scavenged for any remaining meat, which went into a bowl. Then I added the chicken broth and seasoning. Next I thawed 2 turkey drumsticks and 2 turkey wings in the broth until they were warmed through. I removed them and tore off the meat. Next carrots and sweet potato chunks went into the pot. When they were nearly tender, I added the pepper and onion. Meanwhile, make the Matzo batter and refrigerate 15 minutes. My veggies were tender before the Matzo was ready, so I scooped them out with a slotted spoon to stop the cooking and set them in a bowl. Next I balled up the Matzo and tossed it into the boiling broth. Lid on for a 20-minute simmer. When it was ready I added turkey, veggies, broth and 1 Matzo ball to two bowls. Good stuff.

No comments: