Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Craving bell peppers


Yesterday when I was making dinner something just set me off... maybe it was the spaghetti-O smell of the canned tomatoes or the eyestinging fumes of onions suspiciously labeled as sweet. Or maybe it was the unsettling squish and mush of cold ground chicken between my fingers that did it. Or the tragedy of over scorching my bell peppers, around which the entire meal was planned. I was in a very bad mood, and spiralling deeper into the mire until JOe pushed me lovingly, but firmly out the door. The frigid night air and the prospect of meeting Jennifer at the YMCA helped me get away from the stinking chaos of my kitchen.

When I returned, the smelly tomatoes and the spicy onions and the chicken meatballs were all tucked neatly into the refrigerator. And I had a bowl of cereal.

I was in a much better mood tonight and decided the subs actually tasted OK --not great -- but definitely edible.

Meatballs:
1 lb lean ground chicken (or turkey)
1/2 cup instant oats
several shakes basil
3 Tbs lime pepper
several shakes parmesan
salt if you like things saltier
Bake at 350 until done.

Other stuff:
1 onion, caramelized
1 can whole tomatoes, quartered and sauteed
3 cloves garlic, chopped and sauteed with tomatoes
3 bell peppers, broiled and skinned

No comments: