Thursday, November 02, 2006

Food Quiz #7 answer


Yay, Julie... they are indeed whole wheat crepes. (And go Rachel for guessing the whole wheat flour right off the bat.) I like mine with bananas and peanut butter. As an experiment I tried cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar... Tastes good. Looks ugly. Can't always have it both ways I guess.

My dad often made crepes for my mom and I when I was growing up. I liked to fold them in fourths and nibble them into edible snowflakes, kind of a craft and a snack all at once. Now that I'm grown up I don't do that (when anyone is watching).

I've only recently started making my own crepes... inspired by a whole grains cooking class at the Mettler Center in Champaign, Ill. that I attended as a last ditch effort to get a story for my Reporting 2 class. It didn't work because I was one of two people that attended the class and the other gal was really annoyed that I kept asking questions. Anyway. Here's a recipe adapted from the class:


Whole Wheat Crepes
3/4 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1 2/3 cups liquid (I like vanilla Silk)

If you want, add 1/3 cup sugar. Or 2/3 cup sugar. Or a pinch of salt.
To avoid nasty flour lumps, stir a little of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients at a time. Add a little oil to a skillet just to season it and turn the heat to medium. Pour about 2 or 3 tablespoons of batter and then quickly rock the pan in a circular motion to spread the batter as evenly as possible. Try to get the batter slightly up the sides of the pan. When the edges of the crepe begin to look crispy and lift from the pan, it's done. Use a spatula to peel the crepe from the pan. Repeat, fill and eat!

If you missed my wonderful mystery picture in food quiz #7, click here.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Yay! I guessed the whole wheat flour!! Those crepes look fantastic. I like anything with bananas and peanut butter! Do you ever make grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches?