Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Dumpling lunch


The intact jiaotze got eaten up before I thought to grab my camera. These are the rejects... I fed the nice looking hybrid turkey-broccoli-leek wonton-dumplings to my co-workers, Matt and Jenn, who came over for lunch today. Joe also got to eat the rejects.

My recipe: (or should I say mess-ipe, because I don't like to measure)

1 lb lean ground turkey
1 medium leek, finely chopped
6-9 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup frozen broccoli florets, nuked, chopped to bits
About 30 rice stick noodles, cooked till mushy, then mashed
Several shakes of sushi vinegar
Liberal swigs lite soy sauce
Small mound of white sugar

Mix all that, then take a small spoonful and put in the center of a dumpling or wonton wrapper. Dunk your finger in water and paint the edge of the wrapper. Press it together to make half-circles (if dumpling wrapper) or triangles (if wonton).

Bring water to a rolling boil. Drop in dumplings, when water bubbles again (or after maybe 3 minutes if it was bubbling all along), add a half cup to a cup of cold water. Wait for it to boil again.

Take them out, cover 'em in fresh green onions and garlicky dumpling sauce (or make your own out of soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and copious amounts of garlic). Slurp them down while they're hot. mmm. Real homestyle Chinese feel-good food.

No comments: