Monday, September 17, 2007

Chinese chicken curry


I'm back at the Martin Yan Quick & Easy... this time I adapted his recipe for "Chicken and Potato Yellow Curry." I usually find the curry at restaurants have a whole lot more sauce than morsels to swim in the sauce. I guess rice is supposed to sop all that up, but usually I end up adding some frozen veggies to my leftovers before reheating them. Another predicament with ordering curry at a restaurant is that they usually offer only one or two ingredients in each variation of curry.

In my adaptation, I added a quarter of a fresh pineapple and two carrots. The pineapple just seemed fun, and the carrots were to give it a little color beyond yellow.

Here's the recipe:
3 yukon gold potatoes (1 1/4 lbs)
2 carrots
3/4 cup pineapple chunks
1 can unsweetened coconut milk (I skimmed some of the fat off)
3 Tbs curry powder
1/3 cup water
1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs fish sauce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp water

Cut potatoes into eighths, cut carrots into 2 inch pieces, then boil both for 15 minutes.

Pour half the coconut milk into a suacepan on medium, stir in curry and bring to slow boil. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it's no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes. Add the sugar, fish sauce, potatoes and carrots. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 more minutes. Then add chopped cilantro, cornstarch solution and cook another minute to thicken. Take off heat and stir in pineapple. Serve with steamed rice and garnish with more cilantro.

No comments: