Monday, August 06, 2007

Lavender heaven


Something I HAD to do while in Oregon was visit a lavender farm. Tuesday, after leaving Portland, Joe and I drove to the Hood River Valley to peruse part of what's called the "fruit loop." Our first was at the Lavender Valley... run, to our amazement, by a Taiwanese woman and her family. They grow, harvest and distill their own lavender oil to make a variety of products. I bought a small bottle of lavandula angustifolia, which is the English Lavender. It has a fruitier frangrance than some of the lavender varieties.
I was going crazy, but Joe had fun too. Honey bees buzzed and hovered everywhere. They were a little tricky to photograph because the plants bobbed in the breeze.
The sun was a little harsh... but we did our best to try to capture the fields of purple. Too bad there's no way for me to post smells.

No comments: