Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Goodbye, Blues!

Friday between 1:30 and 4:00, the bluebird babies fledged. When Joe stopped home after lunch, he heard the plaintive cry of one of the babies from the next box and recorded it with his digital recorder.
When I came home at 4 p.m., the box was empty save the missing blue egg, which was actually underneath babies the whole time. It was unfertilized. I listened carefully... I heard the soft "churdle, churdle" that I've heard the bluebird pair make to each other hundreds of times. I spotted a frumpy little bird on the wire.
And daddy bluebird making the call from a post in the Sivley's backyard. I'm happy the family has decided to stay in the area as they grow. Our first family (last year) were nowhere to be seen nor heard after they fledged... probably because of a certain mean and nasty robin with territory issues.

No comments: