Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Spring rolls


My coworker once told me that if I were a food, I'd be a spring roll. After getting over the weirdness of being likened to something edible, I decided it's not a bad food to be... Healthy, fresh, ethnic. Well, today I decided to make some.

The wrappers come dried in a plastic disc and they soften after about a minute or two of soaking in warm water. I filled them with salad shrimp (discovered in the back of the freezer), pan fried tofu strips, julienned cucumber and basil and mint from my container garden.

For a dipping sauce I combined a little splash of fish sauce with a double splash of soy sauce, about 2 Tbs sugar, half a lime, 2 Tbs peanut butter, a tiny bit of sesame oil and a splash of rice vinegar. I nuked it to soften the peanut butter, then stirred til it was smooth.

They came out pretty good...I gobbled the first one down as Joe gobbled down two. BUt the herbs were a little overpowering. I probably had 20 mint and basil burps after eating that little roll. Should have filled them with a nice buffer of rice noodles like they do at the restaurants.

No comments: